Come Follow Me

Come Follow Me
"And he saith unto them, "Come and follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) As the New Year begins, we, the members of the Willow Wood Ward, invite you to Come and Follow Him!

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sister Sydney Burningham

These are feathers from a bird that Mike hit while he was driving a train for the railroad, he got if off the front of the train plucked it and cut it up to eat, such a redneck, then he left these feathers on our door. then we gave them to our whole district.


Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:46 AM



Hello everybody!

Another week gone by I can hardly believe it.  I am not quite sure how time can pass so quickly, but it just seems to keep doing that.  Sister Weight and I are thrilled we're together for one more transfer, we are on exchanges today and I'm really excited to be with Sister Liebing today, we're going to get a lot done today and she's a really incredible person.  As for the last week, there were a lot of miracles, as a mission we are working on lifting the mission, raising our level of obedience, purifying and becoming consecrated missionaries, which I am so excited about.  There is always something to work on to become our best selves. 

This week we focused a lot on Less-Actives and ways that we can help them come back to the fold.  Sister Weight and I got out a list of Less-Actives and decided we were going to ask them to come out on team ups with us knowing most of them would probably say NO, right because they haven't been to church for years, but we put our faith in the Lord.  Turns out most less-active members of the church still have their testimonies, there were three that agreed to come and we're so excited about it!  They bore powerful testimony and it sparked something in them that they all showed up to church on Sunday, something so simple, something we hadn't thought of, the Lord knew these three of his daughters needed to feel needed and I'm so grateful we were able to spend time with them and they were able to help others come unto Christ with us. 

One things I've been thinking about a lot this week is the past, which has been good and it's been bad.  I just wanted to know how I remembered the past and learned from it but don't hold onto who we used to be, but to move forward with faith in the future.  I came across (I say came across let's get real the spirit led me right to it) a scripture in Mark 2:21-22 It says:

21 No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse. 22 And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles.
He wants us to move forward, to leave our old selves in the past and become someone new through his Atonement.  I think often times especially with those we teach they have these habits, these friends, this lifestyle that has become who they think they are, and they have a hard time changing and committing to something different because they can't just leave the past behind.  We are not who we once were, and each week as we partake of the sacrament we become new again, we are cleansed through the Atonement and that's what we need to help others understand, that it's never too late, the perfect place to start is where you are right now.  It was just a reminder to me, that I can change and I do everyday, even if it's not a noticeable difference. 
I hope that all made sense, haha I'm a little scattered today, but I love you all and pray for you often, thank you for the love and support again it means the world to me, things are well in Tennessee, we had a crazy snow storm it almost seemed like Utah, haha but then it all melted and it's very warm today.  Have a wonderful week, hope it starts warming wherever you are.
Love,
Sister Burningham







This is a German Shepherd puppy that kept biting sister Weights ankles haha, it was the cutest thing, it was out in Strawberry Plains, TN WAYYYY country.


We had 7 inches of snow here, it was CRAZY, it all melted the next day but still, it was awesome, just like Utah pretty much just a little more humid. 

This is my first experience with biscuits and gravy, it's bacon gravy but no meat is actually in it.  It was delicious, so adventurous.


 Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM



Hey Everyone!
I just have to start by saying that my poor companion is just not in luck lately, haha.  Sister Weight got her root canal, and then she got her temporary, then she broke her temporary somehow at dinner at Kay Cruze's and today she has to go back, did I mention she absolutely despises the dentist?  Seems to be the theme of my companionships, my companions facing their fears and stuff, I love it though Sister Weight is a tender mercy, she is absolutely wonderful.  I know I've pretty much said that about every companion and to be honest they've all been super great.  I am blessed that's for sure.  I am eating a lot more foods even now, I try stuff all the time, I'm working up to eating meat but I just don't know if I'll be able to jump on that band wagon, dare to be different that's what I always say, haha but at least at family gatherings I won't be made fun of anymore and stuff.  Look out family I'm a changed human being. Haha, I love you guys.
This week has brought loads of miracles as usual.  Tracy Willis has committed to March 8th for baptism, she is pumped about it.  The most incredible thing is that her husband really wants to be worthy to baptize her so he just ran up to the ward secretary and scheduled a meeting with the bishop so he can get everything in order to be ready then.  I am so grateful for him and his willingness to come back church and everything, he tells us all the time about his missionary experiences and he loves being a member of the church, he always tells people he is L.D.S. and he loves talking about the Gospel, it means so much to him, I gain so much strength from his testimony.  Lately we've been working a lot with members we take mother, daughter combos out on team ups sometimes to find less-actives and knock so many doors in apartment complex's haha, they were loving it, it's so fun to really get with the members and help them be missionaries as well.  I picture me and my Mom knocking doors and testifying of the Savior, what a dream come true that would be, it's so much fun!  For real though. 
Well lately I've been thinking a lot about covenants and what they mean.  There's this quote that I love by Tad R. Callister he says:
"An ordinance is a physical act, symbolic of a spiritual truth, that is required by God in order to make a man or woman eligible for additional blessings of Heaven."
There are several ordinances we perform in the Gospel of Jesus Christ by the authority of the priesthood which amazes me everyday how true the church is and how Christ is directing this church, but when we perform ordinances we make covenants with our Heavenly Father.  I think often times we don't think enough about them, or what we really promised to do.  We get caught up in our own lives and adversity that we forget we promised to mourn with those that mourn, comfort those that stand in need of comfort, to preach the Gospel and participate in other people's conversion.  This is not something to be taken lightly, the Lord's work is hastening and we all have a responsibility to do our part.  Sister Weight gave a talk at church yesterday on Obedience.  Obedience is the key, every blessing we receive is because we were obedient to the commandments of God.  We show out love for our Heavenly Father by keeping his commandments.  "If ye love me, keep my commandments." [John 14:15] she shared this story:
 A boy and his father went out to fly a kite. The boy was very young. It was his first experience with kite flying. His father helped him, and after several attempts the kite was in the air. The boy ran and let out more string, and soon the kite was flying high. The little boy was so excited; the kite was beautiful. Eventually there was no more string left to allow the kite to go higher. The boy said to his father, “Daddy, let’s cut the string and let the kite go; I want to see it go higher and higher.”
His father said, “Son, the kite won’t go higher if we cut the string.”
“Yes, it will,” responded the little boy. “The string is holding the kite down; I can feel it.” The father handed a pocketknife to his son. The boy cut the string. In a matter of seconds the kite was out of control. It darted here and there and finally landed in a broken heap. That was difficult for the boy to understand. He felt certain the string was holding the kite down.
Sometimes we feel restricted or tied down, but the commandments are there to protect us.  I never thought I would love being obedient so much, haha but the blessings are incredible.  I know that the way I can show my love to my Savior is by obeying him and loving his children enough to help them in their conversion to the Gospel.  You have all influenced my conversion to the Gospel by your examples, advice and love. 
Thank you for everything I hope your week is a great one! Build Zion and all that good stuff this is the time, here and now.
Love,
Sister Burningham



So this is Sister de Hoyos and I trying to be those gargoyles in the Hunchback of Notre Dame she's a lot better at it than I am, we were at the church for p day playing basketball and stuff.




This is a real motel.  The south, I love this place.


No comments:

Post a Comment