Come Follow Me

Come Follow Me
"And he saith unto them, "Come and follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) As the New Year begins, we, the members of the Willow Wood Ward, invite you to Come and Follow Him!

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Elder Seth Garner


October 8th:

This week has been satisfying. I am completely drained, but I am satisfied! Elder Carey and I had a lot to do this past week, which left very little time to be doing things in our own area. First of all, General Conference was amazing! (Did anyone else notice the fly that landed on the Australian guy's nose?) This week we were completed adding a family to our teaching pool, the Taylor family. We found Kristi Taylor a while back, added her as an investigator, but haven't been able to visit with her for a long time because she has major health problems. This week we were able to visit with her again, add her two sons, who are fifteen and twelve, and commit them to watching General Conference. They weren't able to come to the stake center to watch it with us, but they watched it at home... DANG that made me so happy! The Taylor family is so solid! They have accepted everything that we have taught them so far, and have agreed to be baptized when they know it is true.


We had our zone meeting yesterday, which is where Elder Carey and I get to teach the zone for two and a half hours. It went great, and the Penasquitos stake president was even there! Elder Carey taught about member missionary work, and I talked about becoming a successful missionary. You know you are a successful missionary when you can feel the Spirit as you teach. Success on a mission is measured by your commitment to find, teach, baptize and confirm, and help converts enjoy the companionship of the Holy Ghost, and eventually lead them to making more covenants. I came up with the "3 don'ts" in missionary work. Don't become depressed. Always know that your Father in Heaven is with you, and if you are doing the Lord's work, you cannot fail. Hold fast to the Atonement, and never turn back. When the sons of Mosiah were ready to give up while teaching the Lamanites, the Lord comforted them, and helped bear their afflictions. Don't become discouraged. If you are discouraged your faith will weaken. When your faith weakens, doubt and fear enter, diminishing your ability to feel the Spirit. Don't become disappointed in yourself. Missions may be full of disappointments, but as long as you are doing your very best, you cannot be disappointed in yourself. I think that it really helped out the zone, because there are a few missionaries who have been having a rough time with these things (I loved Elder Holland's talk on depression.).

Well, it is Elder Carey's last week, so we are going to make it a good one! I am so excited to see the progression of those I am teaching. I love to see people use the Atonement, and gain a knowledge that they can be forgiven of sin. I love the Lord!
Love,
       Elder Garner


Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 11:28:12 -0700
Man oh man, this week has been nuts! It was Elder Carey's last week, so it was filled with many goodbye's. He was in PQ for ten months! That is a stinking long time! I had to drop him off at the airport this morning, that was quite the tender moment. I sure am going to miss that guy. He was a great influence to me, and an incredible missionary. But, life goes on, as always. I am staying with some elders in my zone, and I will be getting my new companion tomorrow. I sure hope I get someone who knows what they are doing, because I am still trying to figure out how to be a zone leader! I am stoked though!!!

We had our first rain of the year this Wednesday. I have missed the rain so much! I have gotta say though, I have become quite the wuss when it comes to the cold, because it dropped down into the high 60's, and I was freezing my tail off! I am so used to 80-90 degree weather it is not even funny.

My dear friend Dennis Reynolds from Julian is in line for baptism on the twenty-sixth of this month, and I cannot wait to go up and see him! Andrea Listeningdeer is also getting baptized on November second. I am so happy for them both! Also, Diana Sherwood will be getting baptized in the same month. Dang, things are going swell!!!

Things are going pretty well on my end here in Penasquitos as well, granted I am still trying to get my feet under me and figure out how I am going to do without Elder Carey. Aaron Gadberry is in a bit of a rut right now. His girlfriend being completely anti is helping out a whole bunch with that. So, we will see what happens. We meet with the Taylor family tomorrow, and I am so excited! They are going to progress so quickly, and the church is going to bless their family more than they could ever imagine!

Oh, I JUST found out that my good pal Elder Casey is getting transferred from Julian. It is so weird to see the area that I was able to start be taken over by two completely different missionaries. Well, I know that things are going to continue to boom for Julian, and I will be there for all of my investigators baptisms!

I can't wait for this next transfer, I know it is going to be good! I know God lives, and I certainly know that His Son died for us. I love the Atonement of Christ, and I absolutely love being able to share it!

Love,
       Elder Garner


Elder Garner on P-day at the coast

No comments:

Post a Comment