Come Follow Me

Come Follow Me
"And he saith unto them, "Come and follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) As the New Year begins, we, the members of the Willow Wood Ward, invite you to Come and Follow Him!

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Sister Sydney Burningham



We went on a hike this morning SUPER early and did our studies on the riverside, Sister Whatcott and Ellis's idea, brilliant, I will sent pictures of the sunrise, BEAUTIFUL.


                     The sunrise over the river, Tennessee is beyond beautiful, this is the river boardwalk.


Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Captain Kenny.


Family and Friends,

My goodness the time is still flying, in fact I think it's going even faster now.  In about a week I will be heading home to good old Centerville, Utah.  It's hard to think about, and I'm not quite sure how to prepare for it, so I've given it to the Lord.  But our week has been wonderful, filled with exchanges, miracles and so much joy and happiness in the Lord's work.

The BEST thing happened this morning.  So us four sisters got up early to head out on a little walk/hike up to the river boardwalk near our house to do studies and sing songs and just really take in what God has given us.  So as we are singing,"Nearer My God to Thee." watching the sunrise (It was really cool because Sister Whatcott and Sister Ellis can harmonize like you wouldn't believe) we just couldn't believe how lucky we are.  A few minutes later as we are singing a man drives by in his fishing boat and hears us, so he turns around and comes back, called himself Captain Kenny said he has church on the river every morning before he goes fishin' reminded me a lot of our next door neighbor Mike back in Chilhowee, told us his favorite scripture is Matthew 4:19 you know "Follow me and I will make you Fishers of men." Well he stood up and he starting preaching to us, straight up asking if he can get an "AMEN" so we just kept saying "AMEN" and he wanted us to sing how great thou art, so we did with him and it was so great, He seriously loves the Lord and does what he can to serve others, we learned so much from him and I just have to say that is something I am going to miss about the South is these preachers and ministers and people we meet who get so excited and enthusiastic about Jesus and his word and his life. Just the five of us on the river boardwalk having a morning sermon.  Made my week.  I LOVE TENNESSEE.

I was thinking a lot about what it means to be a "Finisher"  I was reading in the Book of Mormon this week in Moroni 6:4 it says:
"And after they had been received unto baptism, and were wrought upon and cleansed by the power of the Holy Ghost, they were numbered among the people of the church of Christ; and their names were taken, that they might be remembered and nourished by the good word of God, to keep them in the right way, to keep them continually watchful unto prayer, relying alone upon the merits of Christ, who was the author and the finisher of their faith."

Christ is the author and the finisher of our faith.  He came to Earth he performed his miracles, he set up his church and had an incredible ministry, he performed the single most important act in the history of all existence even the Atonement, for each one of us.  He finished his mission, we need to finish strong.

I was reading a talk by President Thomas S. Monson called "Finishers Wanted".
He says:
" There has always been a need for those persons who could be called finishers. Their ranks are few, their opportunities many, their contributions great.  From the very beginning to the present time, a fundamental question remains to be answered by each who runs the race of life. Shall I falter or shall I finish? On the answer await the blessings of joy and happiness here in mortality and eternal life in the world to come." 

It is what we become when all is said and done, I have learned what it means to become something I never thought I could become.  I have learned how the Atonement changes people and how it has changed me forever.  I'm excited for the next week here in this part of the Lord's vineyard and I hope and pray that we can all be finishers for the Lord, He loves us and He trusts us, He will always make more out of us than we could ourselves.

I have never been more tired and more happy in my entire life! I love you all, have a wonderful week!

Love,
Sister Burningham.






We went bowling with the Griffin's! Our mission president and his wife have three daughters that came with them, this is Olivia on the right and Izzy on the left, they're darling.













Some of the missionaries went bowling last week, Elder Hancock, Sister Spencer, Elder Sinks and Elder Edwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment