Come Follow Me

Come Follow Me
"And he saith unto them, "Come and follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) As the New Year begins, we, the members of the Willow Wood Ward, invite you to Come and Follow Him!

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Elder Justin Thiel



Don't worry about the bed bugs the mission will take care of it. They're not that bad.. the bug guy is coming back again today to spray and we might just get rid of the beds and frames all together just to make sure that they are gone. Did you guys send the insanity and such? If so I haven't got it yet.. the reason that we had to email today is because of Martin Luther King day.  The whole city shuts down for it here so we couldn't get to the library to email. 

I'm doing really good here and I really like it.  Me and Lyman get along great and we have tons of fun. We get work done and we do everything we're supposed to. We also have some sister missionaries that live in the apartment building just across from us so we have a good time with them and we keep each other in line. We have a family of 4 lined up for baptism for the 1st of Feb and me and Lyman are pretty excited for them. They get interviewed on Friday for it and they are excited for baptism as well.  We also have some other people on date for baptism as well in the future so we're praying hard for them as well!  Over all I really like this area and the time is going by so fast. The transfer is already almost half way over and it feels like I've only been here a week.

I finished The Words of Wisdom for Missionaries that you sent me at Christmas.  I found it to be really inspiring. The book was quotes compiled into to subjects from famous people as well as from leaders of the church. There was a lot of good stuff in there and I plan on using some of the quotes for spiritual thoughts that we share from members. One of them that I thought was really good was, "one often thinks about changing the world but rarely does one think about changing ones self."  It said something along those lines. I couldn't help but to ponder that one.    

I hope that everything works out for you guys this week and I'll be sure to pray for grandma's surgery.  I love you all and I'll keep all of you in my prayers!

Love,
Elder Thiel

The bed bugs are gone!!!  We got new beds and everything.  The beds are hard as a rock though.. the week was pretty good other then I got sick.  I think that I had strep mixed with a nasty cold but I'm starting to get over it now.  Some members gave me some vitamins and they helped a lot.  The members also made me some delicious soup to help me get better.  This week most of our appointments fell through but we still have the people being baptized Saturday interviewed and now they are completely ready for it.  This means that me and my companion are going to have to go hard core finding more people to teach, but that shouldn't be too had and we have fun doing it.  That's sad that you had to give up piano.  I now wish that I learned how to play it.  I hope that we can get the insanity working.. I really need some good cardio.. I can probably figure it out with the workouts though I'll just have to find a way to time it.  When you send the guitar stuff, make sure that you send my tuner with it because I dont have one.  Thanks for sending it! 

We had stake conference this week and it was a special one.  It was broadcast from Orlando, Florida.  This was the first time that I'd ever been to one like that.  We had Russel M. Nelson, of the 12, speak as well as some members of the 70 like Elder Gay talk.  It was really inspiring!  The topic was about "hastening the work of salvation."  They talked about how these are the last days and the Lord has hastened his work and that we need to do all we can to assist Him in his work.  They also talked about how the members need to go to the missionaries and ask them how they can help us instead of us going to them and asking that question.  I thought that was interesting.  I really love the gospel now and more and more I read the scriptures and listen to the general authorities I realize that I need to learn how to give up the natural man.  This is my goal and what I'm working on more and more.  Loosing myself in this cause.  I'm learning more and more that the commandments are there to do just that.  To teach you how to have your spirit in control of the body.  I hope more and more that I can do this and no longer be selfish in my conduct with my fellow man.  I'm also learning that true happiness comes from helping others and seeing their joy.  I'm also seeing that the Lord needed me here to learn that.  There isn't a better place to learn how to be like Christ than when you spend all day doing His work and loving and seeing people as He would see and love them.  There are so many things that my eyes are now open to and this also makes me realize that I still have a long way to go, there is still much to learn, and there is still much to be done. 

I hope that you all have a wonderful week and that everything works out for ya'll!
Love,
Elder Thiel

No comments:

Post a Comment