Come Follow Me

Come Follow Me
"And he saith unto them, "Come and follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) As the New Year begins, we, the members of the Willow Wood Ward, invite you to Come and Follow Him!

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sister Sydney Burningham






Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM

 I'm trying to become a positivist.

Hey Everyone!

I hope everyone's week is going well and that everyone is ready for the 4th of July!  We have big plans as well, we're pretty excited!  I think the 4th of July is my favorite holiday..yeah it's my favorite holiday.  So grateful to be here in Tennessee for another one!  This week has flown by as most have and it is getting more humid and more hot, we were hoping to play some tennis today, but we may have some rain delay, not the best but we'll figure it out.  We had a really great week! 
Sister Roundy and I are building more unity and deciding on some ways we can help the work progress here in the West Hills Ward, we had a really incredible lesson last night with a family in the ward after dinner, we asked them what makes them worried or afraid to share the gospel, there were a few things that made them hesitant to invite their friends and family to learn more.  
1. In the workplace, getting fired or a stern talking to because they talked about religion.
2. Saying the wrong thing and feeling like they ruined someone's chance.
3. Afraid it will ruin the friendship/relationship with the person they invite.

We talked about Preach my Gospel and our purpose as missionaries, that the Lord expects us to always be inviting and bearing our testimonies frequently, that it is simple, the Lord requires a willing heart and an invitation, as far as the fruit that comes or what happens, He takes care of that part, when we put in our part.  

We talked about Doctrine and Covenants 64:33-34.
 33 Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
 34 Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.
We invited them to pray about someone specific as a family to make that invitation to meet with the missionaries and have the lessons to know more, when done with love, it will not be taken offensively or ruin anything, people know us, they know we hold our faith dear, they know it means everything to us, in most cases they consider it very kind to invite them to learn what means so much to us, and that we're willing to share what means so much to us, we had a great lesson and we're excited to hear about their experiences!  They are the sweetest.

President and Sister Irion leave tomorrow on their road trip back to Utah and President and Sister Griffin arrive! We are so excited to meet them and their family!  We have interviews with them this week and I can tell you more about them.  This month President Irion's last charge is to Be Positive, specifically about people.  Anyone we come in contact with, as I have been conscious about what I say about those around me in conversations with my companion, other missionaries, members, I have realized that sometimes I say some pretty harsh or unfair things about people based on facts or my assumptions.  The Lord does not want us to speak about others that way, they are his children and he loves them, he doesn't need us to point out our differences and their flaws, he needs us to life, inspire, bless and love them.  It has made such a big difference in my missionary efforts, not that I am perfect at it yet, and I have a long way to go, but I just feel like it was very inspired.  

This week this 12 year old girl in our ward got up and bore her testimony about bearing testimony to her friends who aren't members of the church, I was so happy to see her faith, so strong and she is so willing to pray for missionary opportunities to share the gospel, I found myself wondering if I had that much submissiveness and faith to do whatever the Lord wants me to do, it was a good reminder, I just love her and look up to her in so many ways, the youth here are incredible, we're doing a musical number with them in sacrament meeting July 20th I'll let you know how it goes.

Sorry for such a long email again, I want to tell you all everything but it's simple not possible.  I hope you have a great week and a great 4th of July.  It's July. Mind. Blown.

I love you all, thank you so much for all the prayers, love and support.  God Speed!

Love,
Sister Burningham.








This is Miss Lill She is the sweetest woman ever, she moved to Missouri so we aren't teaching her anymore, but she really loves learning and wants to change her life, we love her so darn much.







This is Elder Russo, he's one of my heroes, got transferred really far away, he's a visa waiter for Brazil from Oklahoma, but he just decided to stay in Tennessee the rest of his mission.  We're happy to keep him.










This is my girl!  She is so great, and loves to read the Book of Mormon and play with the missionaries, they live next door to a member we go see!


















This is at a HUGE quarry on our hike a couple weeks ago, it's way cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment