Come Follow Me

Come Follow Me
"And he saith unto them, "Come and follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) As the New Year begins, we, the members of the Willow Wood Ward, invite you to Come and Follow Him!

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sister Sydney Burningham

          This is Brother and Sister Welch, newly called ward missionaries, we spent the 4th with them!

Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Happy 4th!

Hey Everyone!

The 4th of July was wonderful and we were able to go watch some fireworks and talk to a lot of people so it worked out really great, they have this huge celebration downtown at world's fair park and it was really great!  We got to spend some time with the Welch family as well and they are wonderful.  It's getting very hot and humid where we're at and hopefully when we play tennis today we'll make it through.  It really has been an incredible week though, we are still working on finding people to teach, another one of our investigators moved this week and we're learning a lot about relying on the Lord to find those who He has prepared.  It's been interesting and humbling to say the least.  

We get to talk to so many people everyday!  I think that's one of the things I love most about being on a mission is that you get to meet so many different people from different backgrounds and different experiences.  Last night I feel was one of my little miracles.  I was feeling very discouraged because it just seemed that no one wanted to listen to the message we have to share, I didn't picture this all happening at the very end of my mission but there are lessons to be learned and I know that. I love our message, I know it's true and one thing I have noticed is that you can either be discouraged or you can allow these experiences can solidify your testimony.  We were trying to contact a less-active member the High Priest Group leader had asked us to go see, we were told where she lives by a neighbor and then we walked up to and met Charles, he goes to a church and holds a lot of our same core beliefs, I knew he had such a strong sincere testimony of Jesus Christ and I just felt like I needed to bear my testimony of the Savior and his Atonement, and as we did, he started to soften, he is a wonderful man and is always seeking truth, I offered him a Book of Mormon and told him that if he would read it with a sincere heart he would know that it is true.  He was hesitant based on what he had heard about the Mormons but took it.  After we saw the Less-active member we walked back outside and his aunt was out there, she is from another part of the mission and just talked about how her brother and sister in law are members of the church and she just loves us missionaries, it was getting late but she kept asked so many questions about the church, she got our number and said next weekend she wants us to come help her understand our beliefs!  She was so kind, walked us to our car and told us to never forget that what we do is beautiful and it matters. 

This experience solidified my testimony even more but not only that it helped me see that the Lord will only give us what we can handle and then he takes care of the rest.  I consider last night my miracle from Him, to let me know there are people that care and people searching, he gave me that experience so I would keep going, and never give up on his children and his work.  
I have been reading a talk I read at the beginning of my mission called The Fourth Missionary by Elder Lawrence E. Corbridge. In that talk he writes:
"Every challenge you face, every hard thing you confront, every bad thing that happens to you, every unfairness, every conflict, every sadness, tragedy, every disappointment and heartache, every temptation and every opposition happens for one purpose only: to give you opportunity to respond by applying in your life the teachings of Jesus. As you do so you are changed to become more like Him."

That is the Gospel of Jesus Christ, that is why we are here.

I love you all so much, thank you for the support and prayers and love! Have a wonderful week.

Love,
Sister Burningham.









Happy 4th! Left to right: Elder Sinks, Elder Edwards, Sister Roundy and I. 










Left to Right: Elder Crowell (not sure if he is related to the Crowells in our stake but probably!) Elder Williams, and Elder Sinks. The two on the left are our zone leaders, they're a hoot.








Best Pizza ever it's called "Gino's Pizza" close to our place.  I have a new obsession with pizza...

No comments:

Post a Comment