Come Follow Me

Come Follow Me
"And he saith unto them, "Come and follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) As the New Year begins, we, the members of the Willow Wood Ward, invite you to Come and Follow Him!

Monday, August 26, 2013

Elder Seth Garner


I have such a strong testimony of Jesus Christ! My testimony grows stronger and stronger every day as I witness others feel God's love. I cannot deny the feelings I have had that God lives, and that he loves us too! Elder Ballard promised the leaders of my mission that they could find, teach, and baptize someone within the month of August. Aaron Gadbury was a former investigator who drop off the radar a few months back. His kids have been baptized, and he was ready for baptism as well, but things came up in his life, and he backed off. This last week we got to see him, and committed him to be baptized on August 31. He wasn't too sure, so we had him pray in front of us to know if it was what the Lord wanted him to do. We knelt down, and Aaron prayed. He said that he felt good, and that he just knew that things were going to work out for he and his children. People can get wrapped up in the things of the world, which only bring them temporary joy. Lehi said that God's love is an everlasting joy, which is desirable above all. Living the Gospel will lead us to the Tree of Life, and we will be able to feel God's love, and feel eternal happiness, which worldly things cannot give. God's plan for us is so perfect, and if we bridle all of our passions, are bold, but not overbearing, then we can help others feel God's perfect love, which is desirable above all other things.
Love,
       Elder Garner


    There has been a lot going on this past week. It's hard for me to even write down what is happening! It is kind of like in the Book of Mormon, when you read, "I cannot write a one hundredth part of what happened". Crazy to think about, because there is so much in that book! First off, we were able to reach our goal of twenty lessons again! We got twenty-six, and are continuing to find work! I love the people that I am able to help, and I will always admire their examples.

Alright, Aaron Gadberry wasn't able to come to church this week, BUT we are going to get him this week, and help him quit smoking so he can still be on track for baptism at the end of this month!  Dennis is preparing for baptism! He has been reading the Book of Mormon, praying to know that it is true, and to know why Mormons are always so dang happy! I cannot wait until the Spirit testifies to him that the Book of Mormon is true!

Last Saturday, we street contacted a man just outside of a potential investigators home. As soon as we started talking to him, he noticed our name tags, and noticed that they have Christ's name on them. He went off on how Christ has helped him so much, then he asked us where our church was, and wanted a ride to attend! His name is Abdohli Kamali, he is from Iran, and has been living in the States for a month. We got him a ride to church yesterday, and he had a wonderful spiritual experience. He had to go back to Iran yesterday to get the rest of his family and sell his home, but will be back in late September. Something that is cool about serving in San Diego, is the majority of our investigators are from a different country! The tricky part about teaching people from Iran is that their lives could be in danger if they convert to Christianity, then go back to their country. So we have to get special permission to teach Muslims and people from the middle-east. Abdohli said that when he gets back, he wants to come to church every week! We will just have to wait a month or two... It is a blessing to be lead by the Spirit. Abdohli knew that we had crossed paths for a reason, and that God had sent us. We said a prayer with him after we had met, he started bawling, he kissed our hands and thanked us. It was a humbling, touching experience.

Things seem like they can't get any better, but they do. I have loved my mission, and I love the people I am able to help!  It's time for me to get going now. I know that the church is true, I know that God loves us, I know that he speaks to us today through a prophet, Thomas S. Monson, and I know that Jesus Christ suffered and died for us, so that we might return to live with our Heavenly Father again.

Love,

Elder Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment