Come Follow Me

Come Follow Me
"And he saith unto them, "Come and follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) As the New Year begins, we, the members of the Willow Wood Ward, invite you to Come and Follow Him!

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Elder Derek Fisher







I don't remember how many times the word "binyag" has been the subject of my email but by now i'm pretty sure I don't have to translate for you it's meaning, Yup this week we had another baptism! This has to be one of the most rewarding experiences for me personally because for the last 6 months I've been teaching Brother Ticman, needless to say it's been a challenge. Brother Ticman is one of the most intelligent men I've ever met, especially when it comes to Spiritual matters, every single time I taught him for 5 minutes he would spend another 20 minutes trying to teach me and my companion. Luckily his heart was never closed off and his ears were always open to listen. He has been a part of the catholic church, Jehovah's witness, born again, and when we met him after "proving those church's to be false" he was a member of 7th day Adventist "being the closest he found to follow the doctrine of the Bible". Time and time again we would meet concern after concern, whether it be the meaning of 7th day worship,to the Resurrection, even down to the First vision of Joseph Smith. I can truly testify now though that it is not me who taught him, it was the Book of Mormon combined with the Spirit. Every single time he would bring up a concern we would spend 2-3 lessons trying to resolve it but it would always end in frustration due to a firm belief in something else (even President Stucki had a hard time convincing him of sound doctrine when he would work with us) in the end we felt to just leave him to read certain passages in the Book of Mormon/Bible and pray and ponder about it, and each time he did, his concern would resolve itself. I've really loved teaching this man despite all the hardships because each time I could see he found an inner peace and excitement as he found answers to questions he didn't know he had. Another really amazing part about this is about 15-20 years ago most of his family was baptized by another "Elder Fisher", I know the Lord has placed me here to be the one to help him come unto a knowledge of this restored gospel though I take no credit for his conversion. Not only that but I've develop a much stronger personal testimony as I had to deeply study doctrines to be better prepared to teach him and answer any questions he would bring up.
There is another really interesting spiritual experience I had this week that I'd like to share though, one day in the ParaƱaque 1st ward, Elder Vang (a missionary in my zone) was walking through his area when a young woman said she had met a missionary on a jeepney a while back and how she's really interested in learning more, she has turned into one of their most progressing investigators. As it would turn out I was the missionary who talked to her on a jeepney over 4 months ago, It really goes to show that no effort is wasted and no matter what we do as the Lords servants we have an true impact in peoples lives.
Asides from that it's always such an amazing experience to witness general conference as a missionary. Since I've started my mission every general conference I've watched has been a true spiritual feast. I'm also really looking forward to quoting the general conference talks in future visits to members to get them excited about doing more member missionary work. Well I encourage us all to try and study and apply the counsel from the leaders of the church, they are inspired of God, never forget that. I love this work, I love this church, Most of all I love my Savior. I hope you all had a great week, I know I did.
With Love, 
Elder Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment