For all those missionaries getting ready to leave, here is a bit of Elder Garner's experience from the MTC.

Dear Family,
     I'd just like to start off by saying this has been the best experience of my life so far, and I have only been in the MTC for a week!!!  I would have never imagined that I would be able to experience something quite like this.  It is amazing how much missionaries rely on the spirit.  This has been the most humbling event of my life.  I have never felt closer to my Heavenly Father.  
     Being here at the MTC has also been one of the most difficult things I have ever done.  My companion is unmotivated, lazy, and doesn't care to learn or teach.  I knew I would be getting one of these, but so soon?  It has been really tuff, especially when I'm the only one taking notes and preparing and teaching the lessons... But! I know The Lord will help me with whatever I need, and if that's whipping my companion into shape, then no problem!  I have never felt The Spirit so strongly in my life.  I hope that I can have The Spirit as a constant companion for as long as I live!     
     
     Here at the MTC, I have had the chance to teach real investigators.  This has been the most spiritual experience for me so far!  I feel so much love towards these people whom I haven't even met before.  It is the most humbling experience to help someone say their first prayer... And this is only a taste of what the mission field will be like!  I can't believe that I head out in less than a week.  These last two weeks have seriously FLOWN by.  I can't imagine how fast the whole mission will go.  I AM JUST SO EXCITED!!
     Today I got the awesome opportunity to go to the Temple.  This was the third time I have been to an endowment session.  It really is the greatest thing to be able to go and become even CLOSER with Heavenly Father.  I so wish that I had gone more before I left.  So if you ever have the chance to go... GO!  Don't even think about it.  I promise that the Lord will make time for you to go. 

Love Elder Garner 

And into the field........

Everything is going good down here in Julian, running over squirrels, dodging flocks of turkeys, and seeing naked people.  Yeah, we saw a guy riding a four-wheeler, and he wasn't wearing any pants.  It was in the middle of nowhere, so I guess it's acceptable... But seriously I love this place!  Everything about it is awesome, and it is so beautiful!  Julian is completely different from the rest of the mission.  There's snow, pine trees, lakes, and pie!  Everywhere else is desert and palm trees.  We had an MTE meeting about a week ago right after a huge snowstorm.  The meeting was down in Poway, which is about twenty minutes from the coast, so we loaded up a cooler full of snow to take down.  When we got there, we had a huge snowball fight in 70 degree weather with all of the zones!  That was an awesome experience!
     The work here is exploding! We have kept super busy and are making a ton of progress!  It is incredible the amount of miracles that I see each day, and the days just keep on getting better!  I don't know how they can, but they do.  
     Quick Story:  There is a lady who got in a head-on collision with a semi.  Her name is Andrea Listeningdeer.  Doctors said she would be paralyzed from the neck down, and that they would have to amputate her legs.  The hospital she was staying at is owned by a member, and he offered to have her meet with the missionaries.  (This was a few months ago).  My companion Elder Dennison was serving in the area, and got to visit with her and teach her all the lessons.  He gave her a priesthood blessing, and the next day she was walking.  Turns out she lives in Julian, and is ready to be baptized.  The Lord truly does send people where they need to go, and Now Elder Dennison can finish the work that the Lord wants him to do.     


*Elder Garner is still currently serving in the town of Julian. His mission President told he and his companion that in order to keep the area open, (He and his companion were the first full time missionaries there) they would need to find at least 20 teaching opportunities a week. They have been able to succeed and last week they even had twenty six.  They have one of the largest teaching pools in the mission.  When we talked to him on Mother's day he said, "I'VE NEVER BEEN HAPPIER IN MY LIFE"!!!  Having a testimony and being able to share it and teach the Gospel, seeing people's lives change and gain that same happiness, is truly the most rewarding and deep sincere form of joy we can have!  IT'S AWESOME!!!  THE GOSPEL IS TRUE....May your life be blessed.  Sydney