Come Follow Me

Come Follow Me
"And he saith unto them, "Come and follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) As the New Year begins, we, the members of the Willow Wood Ward, invite you to Come and Follow Him!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Sister Sydney Burningham



                                             Before bed one night, oh and this is the best book.


Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Do you want to build a snowman?


Hey Everyone!
I have to first just let you all know that no I have not seen the movie "Frozen".  I do however know every line to every song because every single place we go the children are singing it and wanting us to know it.  Apparently it's a pretty big deal, so I mean I feel like I've already seen it!  Haha, but that time will come, for now it's missionary work in the Great Tennessee Knoxville Mission, the best life.
Okay, so I just have to tell you about the most amazing woman.  Her name is Wilma, she is 93 years old.  She is pretty much bed ridden, but can get out sometimes, she met her husband when she was 16 years old, and married him then.  He passed away two years ago today and they were married for SEVENTY FIVE YEARS.  I mean really, that is a very long time to be married.  She is the cutest and she just talks about him all the time, she calls us her angels and we come sing to her once a week, so she can feel the spirit and talk to her about what happened at church on Sunday.  She was absolutely determined to get to church for Easter, and she did for sacrament.  Her testimony has strengthened mine, she is someone I will always look up to, so Christlike and still sharing the gospel with everyone in her 90's.  No fear in that one, only faith.
Erica is getting baptized on Saturday, her husband is baptizing her and it will be wonderful, she has been coming to church for awhile so most of the members thought she was already a member, which is great because she is so converted to the gospel and so excited for Saturday we are meeting with her tonight for her interview, watching people you've come to love enter into those covenants is the most wonderful experience, I wouldn't trade it for the world.
I was reading in the Book of Mormon this week about captain Moroni, who is just an incredible person.  I am so grateful to be able to read about his life.  I was reading in Alma chapter 51, after the Lamanites have come to attack, Moroni is trying to fortify his cities and then verse 22 says:
"Behold, it came to pass that while Moroni was thus breaking down the wars and contentions among his OWN people, and subjecting them to peace and civilization, and making regulations to prepare for war against the Lamanites, behold, the Lamanites had come into the land of Moroni, which was in the borders by the seashore."
It really hit me after reading this that how often are we in conflict and contention within our own families or within our own ward families?  Maybe we don't agree on some things, but we are all on the same team.  I have learned that we have a living prophet on the earth who is leading and guiding us away from Satan (the Lamanites in the story) but in order to be firm against Satan we have to help each other, if we are finding so much contention and confusion with those closest to us, who share our same values and have our same beliefs, it is going to be a lot easier for Satan to get in and take over.  It is difficult to be kind and honest to those that we love the most because we know no matter what, they will accept us and love us unconditionally, but it has been my experience as I work on fortifying our companionship and our ward family out here, when we are all on the same page and working toward the same cause then unity comes, and unity is power.  I am so grateful for the people who have loved and supported me throughout my life.  It reminds me about Elder Craig W. Zwick's talk from general conference he says:
"The willingness to see through each other’s eyes will transform “corrupt communication” into “minister[ing] grace.” The Apostle Paul understood this, and on some level each of us can experience it too. It may not change or solve the problem, but the more important possibility may be whether ministering grace could change us."
I know it's so difficult to be patient and loving, and we aren't going to be perfect at it all the time, I just know that when we are patient, kind, and try to see things from someone else's point of view and think about what we say before we say it, that will make all the difference. I love my mission, I love Tennessee, I love my circumstances, even though sometimes they hurt me and they stretch me. 
I love you all and hope you have a great week, until next time!
Love,
Sister Burningham.

We found our ward mission leaders guitar and so we played and sang some hymns as part of our lesson after dinner.  Love that family.
I made this planner for my companion, she LOVES penguins.

No comments:

Post a Comment