Come Follow Me

Come Follow Me
"And he saith unto them, "Come and follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) As the New Year begins, we, the members of the Willow Wood Ward, invite you to Come and Follow Him!

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Elder Seth Garner





Tue, 4 Nov 2014 16:11

Hello!

I know that it has been awhile since I have given a good detailed report of what is going on... I have been VERY busy! Life was a little bit crazy before the transfer with trying to get things all situated with Elder Myler and his new companion, all the new missionaries, and all of the wonderful things that come with transfers. Although it was very difficult having to leave my area (not being able to say goodbye to a lot of people you love is really hard) and leave my previous assignment, I was more than looking forward to embracing the next chapter of my mission. As I was called off the stand in transfer meeting to whitewash into a place called Spring Valley, I couldn't help but give my companion and President Schmitt big long hugs before I went to greet my new companion. President Schmitt has left such a big impression on my life; he is such an amazing example, always filled with charity, and is never one to get angry or mad. And believe me, there were plenty of times that if I were in his shoes, I would have tossed the tables over and exploded! I will miss he and his family dearly, seeing as how I will not constantly be with them in their home. 
With that being said, let me tell you a little bit about my new assignment! My new companion fresh from the MTC (and fresh from Thailand) is named Elder Pimsuwan. Elder Pimsuwan is incredible! This past week has been such a blast getting to know him and work side by side with him. He has only been speaking English for three weeks now, and I have received the wonderful opportunity of teaching him English. I have got to say, this has proven to be one of the most unique challenges I have faced on my mission! Haha, it has been SO AWESOME! If I were Elder Pimsuwan, I would hate me, because I feel like I have been throwing him under the bus a lot! Preach My Gospel says the best way to learn a language is for you as the trainer to not shelter the new missionary, and to give them plenty of opportunities to speak their mission language... And that is exactly what I have been doing! We have been having a good old time learning English! 
The area that we are in is called Spring Valley, which is just South of La Mesa where I was serving. It may very well be the most ghetto place I have served on my mission. Hehe, lots of shady people, drugs, and crime happen twenty-four seven here. It is not too surprising now to hear a cop yell into a megaphone to "come out with your hands up!" Oooooh that has just been TOO funny! The ward is very different from what I am used to. Our first Sunday there, I started to scratch my head while sitting in sacrament meeting wondering where everybody was. I wasn't sure if it were because of the holidays that there were hardly any people in attendance. I later asked one of the ward members if it were usual to have about sixty people at church, and I was surprised to hear a blunt, "yes". I won't lie, it has flooded back many memories of the beginning of my mission, where it was normal to have about thirty at sacrament meeting in Julian, and most of the people's screws are a bit loose. But boy, have we been welcomed here! This ward has actually been praying for a set of full time elders for many years. There was previously a set of sisters, and for some reason they wanted elders. Haven't quite figured out why, but I don't think I will do too much digging on that one. 
I am just grateful for the circumstances I am in right now, because I feel that I am growing so much. The Lord really has heard my prayers and blessed me, because this is exactly what I needed. Man, it has been one crazy week! We are still trying to get our feet on the ground with both being new in the area, so hopefully we will have met and taught a lot of people for me to report on next week! 
Anyway, thanks for the love and support! We are going to work our hearts out this week! 
Adios!

Elder Garner


No comments:

Post a Comment