Come Follow Me

Come Follow Me
"And he saith unto them, "Come and follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) As the New Year begins, we, the members of the Willow Wood Ward, invite you to Come and Follow Him!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Sister Sydney Burningham

                                       
                                                    I call this one, the empty mailbox.

Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM


Family and Friends,
What a rollercoaster of a week this has been.  I have been very humbled and have come to realize that I really cannot do this work without the help of the Lord, I mean really, it's His work, He knows what his children need, His spirit is key.  I have learned so much about myself I never even thought this was possible to learn so much about yourself on a mission, but everyday, every setback or victory, I learn more about myself and it's brought to my attention that I need to change again and improve, for this I will be forever grateful.
The greatest thing happened this week, we went to see a less active woman and some recent converts were there for a lesson with them (they've been close friends for awhile) and me and this kid were just freestyling lyrics about like the church and struggles we go through, it was HILARIOUS I'm sure you sort of had to be there, but we were just going to town, I love that little kid so much plus he's a baseball professional already and he's 10 so, I like him for that, but also for his strong testimony of the church, he's my hero. 

This is one of our recent converts in West Hills, he's wearing my glasses and insisted we take a million pictures of him, he's 10 his dad was baptized as well a few months ago!


I am finally feeling like I fit in here and I am really coming to love the people in West Hills, they are all so wonderful, the work is looking up and it's been such a blessing to continue to serve.  I don't like to talk about going home and it seems every single person asks you how long you've been out and when you say 15 months they say "Oh you're going home soon, we're so happy for you!"  It's very strange, haha.  I've made a resolve to give it everything I can for my last two transfers so wish me the best of luck everybody, everyone needs the gospel, and everyone needs an invitation to learn about the gospel, the Lord can give us the courage to invite, invite, invite.  The success is in the inviting and commitment, it says so in Preach my Gospel, which by the way is one of the best books in the world.
More so this past transfer than my entire life I've come to realize that the trials and struggles we go through are for our good and they can help us grow.  There is no growth in our comfort zones, it always amazes me how perfect God's plan is for us, that each life, is individually cared for and recognized, he knows exactly what we need, when we need it.  Our agency is critical to the plan, and he respects our agency, all He wants is for all his children to return to him, and he has invited us to help in this great effort.
"These are your days—to stand strong as disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Build more firmly your foundation upon the rock of your Redeemer.  Treasure more completely His incomparable life and teachings.  Follow more diligently His example and His commandments.  Embrace more deeply His love, His mercy and grace, and the powerful gifts of His Atonement.  As you do, I promise you that you will see the whirlwinds for what they are—tests, temptations, distractions, or challenges to help you grow. And as you live righteously year after year, I assure you that your experiences will confirm to you again and again that Jesus is the Christ. The spiritual rock under your feet will be solid and secure. You will rejoice that God has placed you here to be a part of the final preparations for Christ’s glorious return." -Neil L. Anderson
I'm learning, I'm growing, I'm making mistakes along the way, and I will never stop trying because that is not our nature, we were not meant to stand still, we were meant for much much more than that.
I love you all and pray for you back home often, thank you for everything you have done for me and the examples you have been.  I'm sorry I keep writing so much every week, it's difficult to put into words what I learn and what's going on each week, next week I will give you more of an update on our area and the people we're working with!   Until next week!
Love,
Sister Burningham



                  This is me and my companion, it was a... long day or something? haha. You're welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Sister Burningham in SO CUTE!!! What a great missionary!

    ReplyDelete